Monday, March 1, 2010

Welcome To The Shore, Betch.



The shore is Santa Cruz and it’s nothing like the Jersey Shore. The latter is the smash hit MTV show that left me comatose in a chair for up to three hours every evening while I watched a group of perma-tanned, badly dressed, under-sexed Italian-Americans (Who refer to themselves as ‘Guidos’ and ‘Guidettes’) “live the dream” on a beach boardwalk in Jersey. To the untrained reality show viewer this may sound like crash-TV, but that would be to ignore the fact that the programme involves a man with abdominal muscles so big that he refers to himself as “The Situation”. MTV you’ve done it again, you son of a gun.

The former is a place described by the demi-god that is Wikipedia as being known for it’s “alternative community lifestyles and socially liberal leanings”. Translation: Hippie backwater short on funds, but high on tofu. It has taken me the entirety of Winter Quarter to realise that Santa Cruz is a place that may have given my initial welcome cry of “PARTIES’ HERE” a muted response, but can still define FUN without the help of our good friends Merriam & Webster. Several things have indicated to me that I have developed a fondness for the town, not least because I haven’t left for eight weeks and still have not developed cabin fever but also the fact that I have finally reacquainted myself with my good friend Ukulele and have purchased a bicycle. The last buy was triggered by an unseasonably sunny day in early February, when on Sam’s initiative I borrowed a bike and cycled with her to the beach. There were no big hills, no oily chain incidents, just bright sunshine, the promise of a light tan and me singing Miley Cyrus all the way.

In choosing to court that fat toed, faux Chanel -toting slag Sammi “The Sweetheart”, buff Bronx resident and all-round juicehead Ronnie broke a promise to himself. “My number one rule: Never fall in love at The Jersey Shore”. I didn’t establish any such clauses before I came to Santa Cruz, but like Ronnie I had no plans for falling head over heels-especially with a town that has a 24hour donut shop where, if you frequent it at a certain hour, you may see members of staff masturbating in the back room. Fortunately I have a message for Ronnie-“Don’t fall in love? Sorry betch, but I already did.”

1 comment: